Skunk extermination sparks shed fire in Somers

Print Article

  • A structure fire on Happy Hollow Lane in Somers destroyed a workshop Tuesday afternoon. Witness Cassey Kinnamon said she and her mother along with three others attempted to fight the fire with shovels and hoses until emergency crews arrived. (Cassey Kinnamon photo)

  • 1

    Firefighters work to extinguish a shed that caught fire on Happy Hollow Road in Somers on Tuesday. (Aaric Bryan/Daily Inter Lake)

  • A structure fire on Happy Hollow Lane in Somers destroyed a workshop Tuesday afternoon. Witness Cassey Kinnamon said she and her mother along with three others attempted to fight the fire with shovels and hoses until emergency crews arrived. (Cassey Kinnamon photo)

  • 1

    Firefighters work to extinguish a shed that caught fire on Happy Hollow Road in Somers on Tuesday. (Aaric Bryan/Daily Inter Lake)

An attempt to get rid of an unwanted critter is to blame for a shed fire in Somers on Tuesday afternoon.

According to South Kalispell Fire Chief Chris Yerkes, the blaze on Happy Hollow Road started while a man was attempting to exterminate a skunk in a plastic garbage can. The fire spread throughout the shed and melted a 150 gallon container of vegetable oil used for alternative-energy purposes, Yerkes said.

The building was a total loss, but crews were able to save a riding lawn mower from the flames, as well as a nearby garage. There were no injuries.

Cassey Kinnamon and her mother Patricia Kinnamon were among the first people on the scene.

They saw the fire from the road and stopped to help after calling 911. There was one man with a hose when they arrived.

Patricia honked the horn to alert neighbors, then went to Sliters in Somers to get sand and shovels because the container of vegetable oil appeared to be a fuel-like substance.

Neighbors joined in to help fight the fire until emergency crews arrived.

South Kalispell and Somers-Lakeside fire departments responded to the scene.

Print Article

Read More

Kalispell power outage impacts 8,200 homes

October 15, 2018 at 3:34 pm | Daily Inter Lake Nearly 8,200 Flathead Electric Co-op members in the greater Kalispell area lost power for a couple hours Monday morning. Beginning at around 11 a.m., a relay problem at the Bonnevile Power Adminis...

Comments

Read More

Fire damages historic Kalispell building that houses printing firm

October 15, 2018 at 2:08 pm | Daily Inter Lake By LYNNETTE HINTZE The Daily Inter Lake A Monday morning fire at Scott Publishing Co. in Kalispell damaged the front office of the business housed in a portion of the elaborate 1895 carriage house ...

Comments

Read More

HD-10: Incumbent says tapping natural resources helps state

October 15, 2018 at 10:30 am | Daily Inter Lake MARK NOLAND Age: 59 Party: Republican, incumbent Family: Wife, Kathy, six children and seven grandchildren Education: Graduated from Whitefish High School, some college at University of Montana ...

Comments

Read More

HD-10: Libertarian re-enters politics to rid government waste

October 15, 2018 at 10:30 am | Daily Inter Lake BILL JONES Age: 78 Political Party: Libertarian Occupation: Retired dentist Family: Patricia and I have five children who graduated from the Montana University Education: Attended Montana Stat...

Comments

Read More

Contact Us

News: (406) 837-5131
Advertising: 406-758-4410
Bigfork Eagle
c/o Daily Inter Lake
PO Box 7610
Kalispell, MT 59904

©2018 Bigfork Eagle Terms of Use Privacy Policy
X
X